Record Keeping

Wildcat Families,

Families have two options for completing record books, online through ZBooks or with form fill-able PDFs. Each county's 4-H council will determine how awards and pins work for their county.

Why should youth complete a record book?

1. Determine which project(s) to fill a record book for. Youth are encouraged to fill out one record book on one project but may do as many as they wish based on the 4-H projects they completed in the current year. Some projects may be lumped into larger categories, consult the list of categories.

2. Create 4-H record book folder or three ring binder for EACH project record book. Each book should have a copy of the personal page and permanent record, offices can help make copies. Separating the books into different folders allows us to sort your books and deliever them to local experts on each project area for judging. Tabs for sorting the book are appreciated but please don't use page protectors.

3. Select your age division to fill out the proper paperwork through ZBooks or the pdf forms! Youth may compete in higher age divisions but not lower. Youth must fill out the paperwork for the age division they wish to compete in.

4. Submit to your club leader by their deadline for signatures and sorting. Your club leader will submit to the office by the October 1st deadline.



For the most up to date record book report forms click here
**Save PDFs to computer and open from computer in order to save your work!


Help and guidance through the new online record book keeping program, ZBooks, can be found HERE

Member Achievement Pins

Achievement Pins can be found on the Kansas 4-H website. Please look at the requirements early in the year so youth know what goals to set and how active they need to be in order to be awarded the pin they want. The Key Award is the highest honor in 4-H and youth should be at least 16 years old before applying. Membership pins are due at the same time as record books but are not required. Achievement pins are not part of the record book process.


Q: Do I have to apply for the pins in order?
A: No, but families should be prepared to track their pins and know what they've applied for in the past. It is not the Extension office or your club leader's responsiblity to update you each year on what you've applied for in the past. We prefer young members go in order but understand some members start at an older age and it might be able to apply for more advanced pins.

Q: Can youth apply for more than one pin in a year?
A: No, youth may only apply for one pin a year. This does not apply to the Key Award. According to KS 4-H policy the Key Award is an award not a pin. Youth apply apply for a pin and the Key Award the same year.

Officer Resources

Being elected to an officer role is a great honor and responsibility. This means that your club sees you a leader who will help them move forward. With this honor comes great responsibility. Officers are encouraged to learn about their role and complete the necessary books to be completed at the end of the year. At this link you will find officer training videos, books, and much more. Here is a copy of the score sheets for the following books Secretary, Treasurer, Reporter, and Historian
Check here for more Officer Resorces

End of the Year Club Reports

End of year financial review checklist (Click Here)

End of year financial report: (Click Here)

Record Book FAQ

Q: Do I have to complete a record book for each project I participated in throughout the year or entered at the fair?

A: No, youth may fill out a record book for each project(enrolled/exhibited) but it is not required.

Q: Do I have to print my ZBooks record book or can I submit it online?

A: ZBooks record books must be printed and submitted one project per folder same as the PDFs.

Q: My ZBooks record book form looks different than the PDFs when I print it. Is that a problem?

A: No. Judges will be made aware of the different layouts but the infomration in both are the same and will not impact judging.

Q: There used to be a district-wide check sheet for the front of my book. Do I still need it?

A. No, the district checksheet was being confused with the state checksheet. The cheecksheets purpose was to remind youth of events they particpated in that could go in their book and permanant record. The checksheet received a ribbon sticker based on how many events they youth attended to remind them that while they might not have done much with their record book project this year there was a chance they still did a lot of cool things with 4-H that was not project specific for their record book. This district checksheet is no longer required but you could ask your agent for an old copy if you need help remembering events throughout the year.

Q: Do I have to do a separate personal page or permanent record for each project record book?

A: No, youth can make copies and put the same personal page and permanent record in each book.

Q: Do record books still require a 4-H story?

A: No the 4-H story is now encompassed in the 4-H Project Reflection section of your record book. Your general information (ie. projects completed this year, camp, leadership opportunities) will go in your permanent record and details about the specific project the books is over go in the Project Reflection section.

Q: Does my record book need to be in official 4-H folder?

A:No. Any folder that has the youth's name and club visible on the cover with prongs or rings to easily turn pages will work.

Q: Can I put my record book in page protectors?

A: Please do not put any record book pages in page protectors. This is a rule at state record book judging.

Q: Can I compete in an older record book division to try to win the county award?
A: Yes, youth may compete in higher divisions, but not lower. If you wish to compete in a higher division you must fill out the record book forms for that level.

Q: When are record books due?

A: Record books are always due in your local extension office the October 1, annually. However, your club leaders may have an earlier due date to sort and sign books, please check with them.